Monday, September 6, 2010

I WAS a Cripple (Blog 8)

I know I chose the most generic word from the whole essay, but I realized this is very powerful. My sophomore year I broke my collarbone playing football. When I returned to the practices to help Out, I found the word cripple being tossed around a lot when I was nearby. Just the sound of the word cripple made me feel helpless... The saddest part is that I was.

Cripple- a person or animal that is partially or totally unable to use one or more limbs; a lame or disabled person or animal. When I looked up this definition online, it said "sometimes offensive". people don't realize the hurt words can sometimes cause. When I was "crippled" it bothered me when someone had to say that out loud like I didn't realize I was already disabled. But I guess people said it to just tell it like it is. Like in our discussion, sometimes it helps to tell the truth like it is, instead of sugarcoating it. When I was healed fully, I was so relieved. Not only of pain, but of humiliation. I always remember the pain of what it felt like to be called a cripple. So though I try to make things as real as possible, I make sure to handle injured people with care, and to never toss the word cripple around them

No comments:

Post a Comment