Sunday, March 3, 2013


SMWS 1/23

This week was the championship for both the AFC and NFC divisions of the NFL, which also means the 2nd most intense week of trash talking in America. The San Francisco 49ers played the Atlanta Falcons and the Ravens played the New England Patriots, with the 49ers and Ravens coming out on top. With each of these teams being in distinct areas of the country, fans turn out to be super passionate… and that passion is always transferred to social media. I think it’s hilarious that people can get so upset or so happy about sports that it ruins relationships and lives. The pride associated with sports teams is crazy. I remember reading a story this weekend where a 49ers fan that travelled to Atlanta for the game, ended up stabbing a Falcons fan in the neck after the game.  Me being from San Francisco I have to support the 49ers, but I never voice my opinions online, because I know it’ll cause a riot. The problem with sports and social media is that people want to have teams all to themselves. If you start to support a team around this time of year people consider you a bandwagon fan. If you cheer for another team people think you hate their team for no reason. On Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or pretty much any social media site you can just feel the taunts being thrown around at each other. Normal and famous people alike show their support for their teams. I think it’s awesome that football can create such passionate fans, but I hate how big of an impact trash talk has on social media.

No comments:

Post a Comment