Sunday, April 14, 2013

SMWS 2-25

Over the weekend the NFL combine began, and the results ended up all over my social media. For those that don’t know, the Combine is an event where college football players that are making the transition to the NFL go to compete. There are a number of exercises that each athlete must perform based on their position, like the 40 yard dash and bench press. On Facebook I liked the combine’s page, so I got constant updates on what was going on. My twitter timeline exploded with news about the combine results. Having played football in high school, it’s hard not to get excited about anything relating to college ball or the NFL. Everyone seemed to be freaking out about linemen that were running extremely fast 40 times, and skill players that were running even faster. What I found interesting was that I heard and learned more about players on the internet than I did actually watching the combine on TV. On the internet, it seemed like each player that did something great got their own story about their rough upbringing or an injury they had to overcome to make it that far. It made the actual combine seem so one dimensional. I think this is a pretty cool concept. I think that in the future internet will become more prominent than TV, and I feel the combine is the perfect example. The fact that social media sites like Facebook and twitter were that invested in something like the combine shows the shift that is beginning to happen.
                            

No comments:

Post a Comment