Sunday, April 21, 2013


SMWS 3-31

It was honestly really difficult to go a full week without Facebook. Im sure I couldn’t give up all online activity for good, let alone just a week. I gave up just facebook because I figured I don’t use it so much and it would be easier to let go of than youtube or twitter, but it turned out to be much more difficult than I thought. I deleted the facebook app on my phone to make it easier on myself, but it didn’t really help. Even without the app on my homescreen I found myself going online to check it almost every day. Also the fact that I got email notifications with every interaction made it difficult for me to stay separated from it for too long. It’s interesting: when I have facebook available to me I barely check it… I usually go on once a week when it was available to me. But with the app gone and the challenge of not using it for a week in front of me, it just didn’t work out. The first couple of days I took a peek here or there just because it felt like I needed to. Midway through the week I didn’t check as much… only if I had got notifications or anything, just to see what was going on. During the weekend I was able to go without it, even when I had notifications. I think since I was so used to using it, it became habit just to check it. If I had to keep this up for a while I’m sure I could go without it. I just thought it was really interesting to see how big a part Facebook played in my daily routine, and how hard it was to give it up for a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment